Monday, April 12, 2010

Froberg Farms

STRAWBERRIES!!!

With a tip from some ladies in the ward, we headed down to a local farm and market to pick our own strawberries. Since we have lived in San Antonio, we have picked strawberries every year we have lived in Texas. It has become a tradition! I was excited to find a great strawberry patch not far from our home here in Houston, too! We were hoping to meet up with some of the ward ladies, but when we arrived we realized we had missed them.

The kids had a blast!!! They love picking strawberries! This berry field was huge... with hundreds of berries to be picked! The kids had picked 3 5-lb. buckets full in no time! We only spent about 30 minutes at the farm total! Of course, the first time we went (Friday) I forgot the camera. This was the only shot we have of that adventure.... After ... back at home with our boxes of berries.

Friday's Strawberry Treasure

On my way home I starting feeling guilty that we had our traditional berry picking without our Dad... and he would have loved it! So ... Saturday we decided to head out again - With the limit that we could only pick one more bucket :). We had to wait for the rain to stop and some of the clouds to clear... but we made it :). And our Dad was grateful... it made it all worth the second trip :). And this time I remembered the camera!







Needless to say... we have TONS of berries! We have made strawberry jam, strawberry ice-cream topping, strawberry bread, crepes with strawberries inside... snack time has been strawberries with cream for dipping for a few days now :). Anyone have a great strawberry recipe I need to try?? I still have more berries!

Nothing beats fresh strawberries.... juicy... red all the way through.... SO YUMMY!!
It tastes like spring :)

I LOVE this tradition!!!!

10 comments:

  1. How fun! We haven't been yet this year, we need to get on it! Here are my favorite strawberry recipes:

    Strawberry Spinach Salad

    1/4 c sugar (I leave this out, I don't think it needs any extra sugar)
    1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
    1 (10-oz) package washed baby spinach greens
    1 c sliced almonds, toasted
    Honey Celery Seed Dressing

    Lightly sprinkle strawberries with sugar and toss with spinach greens just before serving (I didn't do this. I just sliced the strawberries and put them in the salad. I think the dressing is sweet enough already). Top with desired amount of toasted almonds and dressing and serve.

    Honey Celery Seed Dressing

    3/4 c sugar
    1/2 c honey
    1 t paprika
    1 t mustard
    1 t grated onion
    1/2 c lemon juice
    1 c vegetable oil
    1/2 t celery seed

    Mix all ingredients except oil and celery seed in a blender. Gradually add oil and celery seed and continue blending. Keeps for 3 weeks.

    Strawberry Pizza
    Crust:
    1 cup flour
    1/4 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    Filling:
    1 (8 oz.) cream cheese, room temperature
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Topping;
    1 cup fresh strawberries, mashed
    4 Tbsp. granulated sugar
    1 Tbsp. cornstarch
    8 - 10 strawberries sliced.
    Crust:
    In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and butter. Form into a ball with hands and press into a 14 inch ungreased pizza pan (I used my Pampered Chef pizza stone)
    Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool.
    Filling:
    In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, vanilla, sugar and lemon juice. Spread on cooled crust.
    Topping:
    In a saucepan over medium heat, combine strawberries, sugar and cornstarch. Simmer until thick and glossy. Cool. Spread on top of cream cheese filling.
    Cut fresh strawberries crosswise to make rounds that resemble pepperoni, place on pizza and serve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a fun tradition. Those strawberries look amazing... delicious.. I wish there was a place like that around here. Too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your pictures. I love that you have so many berry picking places too. And the best part.. the "redo" on Saturday. So funny! Everything sounds so yummy!! You're making me crave strawberries like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Cracks me up how alike we think. I was going to take the children today but then thought it would be so much more fun with Nicolai.
    You all are too much fun, and I love your pics! We miss you all! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those strawberries look incredibly yummy! You are making me miss the great picking in Fredericksburg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm Mmm Mmm...they look so good. We've been eating strawberries from the grocery store and they don't look nearly as good as the ones you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is awesome. I am making jam next week and would love some fresh berries, but must settle from some from the store.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fun tradition. I just made my annual jam, but from Costco strawberries. I know, disappointing huh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fun!! We did it every year in Ohio with raspberries...I need to get on the ball in Texas and maybe try strawberries:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun tradition! Your kids are growing so fast. Those berries look so yummy. I can't believe how many there are.

    ReplyDelete