Thursday, August 12, 2010

Summer Space Fun

It hit me earlier this week that we only have 2 more weeks of summer! That is it! As I thought about it further... it wasn't just the end of summer... it was the end of having all my kids all the time.

Part of me is ready ... ready to not be homeschooling this year... ready to have more individual time with my boys... ready to have more time to clean my toilets... but the other part of me is not.

I am going to miss taking ALL the kids to do fun things whenever I want and not just when school is out... or only taking two of them instead.

I am going to miss listening to Abigail and Dallin playing upstairs while I pay bills or work on things on the computer - I love hearing them inventing new games and playing things like house and city. Dallin is really going to be lost without his buddy. Hopefully Connor will be able to fill that role and maybe I might hear things like cars, dinosaurs, trains.... rougher sounds :).

I am going to miss my big helper. Abigail really is the biggest help around the house. She runs and gets things for me, helps Connor with things - like getting his shoes on or grabbing him a snack. I have grown accustomed to someone else helping do these little tasks each day.

And believe it or not ... I am going to miss watching Abigail learn. It really has been fun this year watching her grown and learn new things. Being able to be right by her side as she sounded out her first three syllable word and learned to count by fives ... the excitement and pride in her eyes :). Or the fun we had reading new stories and creating projects from them... coloring, painting, science projects, etc.... you get the idea. I know there are other things that I am teaching her each day about life and the gospel... but it was fun learning the "academics" with Abigail too.

So.... with all of these feelings... I have been trying to cram in all the fun we can manage.
Monday - the splash park
Tuesday - Costco (not exactly normal kid fun, but mine enjoy it... and sometimes you have to add the necessities in your schedule)
Wednesday - the beach
Thursday - the Space Center
Tomorrow we might have to take the day off and actually clean the house :).
Hopefully next week will be pack with more fun as well....


Here are some pictures of our fun today at the Space Center...

Kiddos enjoying touring the space shuttles and space suits

Lunch Break outside on the grass with friends - we were so grateful to have some cloud coverage :)

Seeing the BIG ROCKET!

Group Shot
Connor, Shep, Abigail, Dallin, and Ella

Connor having a good time.

It was a great day! We were so glad we finally made it out to the rocket and learned that you don't have to take the tram to get there!!! Hooray!! (Taking the tram is quite the adventure with the kids... waiting in line... seeing some other stops that don't really interest them... waiting some more... then seeing the rocket) An employee at the Space Center shared with us that you can actually drive right to Rocket Park! You look like you are going the wrong way (only for employees), but they will let you in! Amazing! Why didn't we know this sooner?!?!? Learning this trick made for much happier (cooler) kids and happier moms.

4 comments:

  1. You are such a great mom! I'm sure that Abby is glad to have spent this last year at home with you too. You guys have created some incredible memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tender post. I know you'll miss Abby like crazy.. just part of our little ones growing up. That part isn't fun. But you've made some great memories with her at home and you still have tons more to look forward to. Party hard these last few weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet. I cried when I left Emily on her first day of all-day kinder. I felt like a chapter of our family life was closing because you just don't get that time with them as often. :)

    It has been fun to watch Jacob become "big brother" when she's gone though. He and Matthew are quite the buddies when she's at school. And Jacob helps a ton more when Emily's not around. :)

    Hope you guys thoroughly enjoy this last week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so exciting to get to go to school! It is a tender moment as a mommy, but really both Ella and I are beyond excited! I know Abby will love it. But it is sad to not be able to take them all to fun places and not not have that time with them during the day. I hope it goes well for you guys!

    And thanks for going to the space center with us. It was great. If you ever want to go again with our boys when the girls are in school, just let me know, I'd love to. :)

    ReplyDelete